Friday, November 21, 2008

10% Equity? No Problem!

Ok I just had the weirdest session. I managed to lay two of the biggest bad beats that I’ve laid all year and both in the same session. Yet despite this I managed to finish $2000 below EV. Huh?

These were like literally the two worst suck-outs I’ve made in the probably the last three or four months. In the first I got it in on the turn with A7 versus 22 on A424 (his range was literally 22, quads or air) and binked a 4 on the river. In the other I got it in on the turn with Q8 versus 66 on QQ65 and binked a 5 on the river.

But then, as if the poker gods were punishing me for my good fortune, I proceeded to lose my next five all-ins – three preflop races (I had AK in all three) and two 70/30’s postflop. Fun times!

I still managed to finish up 3K for the day though which was nice. I’m looking to continue building my roll and get it to 70K by the end of the year. This isn’t going to be easy however since I cashed out about 12K last month and I need to spend 13.3K on the PCA package, but hopefully with some hardcore grinding in December I’ll be able to achieve it. I figure that with 70K I can say goodbye to 3/6 and start the new year as a pure 5/10 player with some occasional 10/20 shots. For me that would be sick and would mean that I’ve achieved my original poker goal of being a true 5/10 regular.

My other goal is to somehow hit six figures for the year. This however would require a Herculean December as I’m only on 60K USD for the year. That does however include three months of not playing and two to four months of playing 1/2 or break-even 2/4 and 3/6. So all in all I think I could have a chance at making it if I run really well next month. Here’s hoping I can, but if I don’t, I’ll just try to make 6K and claim a six figure year anyway since 66K USD is about 100K AUD now anyway :D.

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion