Friday, November 28, 2008

Cash Game Update

Ok well cash games are kind of back on track. I’m up $7000 in my last 3 sessions. Tonight’s session was really weird. There were so many fish everywhere that I ended up sitting at something like 13 tables at one stage which was well above my norm (of 6). It was probably stupid to play so many but I think that although I made some really, really terrible plays as a result it was probably a good idea in terms of improving my dollars per hour. To be honest though I’m one of those guys who hates making mistakes and I’d rather make $100/hour making no mistakes than $120/hour making a whole host of mistakes and thinking about them forever afterwards. Like for example I’m probably now going to be on permanent tilt for the next week because of this one hand I played tonight. We got to the river three ways and a backdoor flush had completed after my flopped set had checked through on the flop. I was pretty sure that a flush was well within the range of the nit and said to myself that if the nit bet I was going to fold my set but if the fish bet I would call. So the nit bet and the fish folded and I somehow changed my mind and nevertheless made a crying call. He flipped over the flush and I was pretty annoyed. But that’s not the end of it. Nope…imagine my surprise when the pot then ships my way anyway. What?!?! Oh right, I have a full house…great check-call there Joey...

Anyway I ended up the session $2000 despite all my spew so I can’t complain. It might have been better if I had only 6-tabled (or if I was better at 12-tabling), but it might have been worse as well since I’m not sure which 6 fish I would have chosen and which fish I actually ended up winning money off.

One thing I do know though is that it would have been a $3000 session if wasn’t so obsessed with winning pots where someone has posted. Whenever someone posts for some reason I automatically go apeshit trying to win the pot. This time at the very end of the session (when I was only 6-tabling so playing too many tables was not to blame) I managed to 5-bet all-in K3s because there was a post. The poster opened in the cutoff and I 3-bet K3s on the button. So much is standard. But when he 4-bet I simply didn’t believe him and figured that he knew that I knew that he probably had nothing since he was raising his own post. So I jammed and got beaten into the pot by 88. Sigh…

I can’t really complain though. I did that once before with KQ and ran into AK and sucked out so that was $1000 I never should have won nor would have won had there been no post. So I guess I can say I’m break-even on the ‘5-bet shove air because he posted’ play.
In other news I booked my flight for the Bahamas today so I’m starting to get pretty excited about PCA. I just need to actually watch some MTT videos now so that I won’t arrive at a 10K buy-in tournament absolutely clueless. I know Adanthar’s videos are meant to be really good and I’ll probably watch some by JSchnett and Bond18 too. Hopefully after those I’ll be ready to tear PCA apart!

Anyway, let’s hope my good run continues. I actually feel like I’m still playing pretty badly despite these last three sessions being winnings ones and I really just want December to begin so that mentally I can start fresh again. For some reason I feel like I can’t play my A game for the rest of this month because in some sense this month is a doomed one anyway; it’s like it was ‘tainted’ by my bad play and bad results. However, when next month (or any new month really) arrives that mental baggage will be gone and I will be able to start fresh knowing that every dollar I make is now contributing to my new monthly winnings and not merely recovering the losses incurred thus far. Weird, I know, but that’s how I roll…

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion