Thursday, November 27, 2008

APPT Sydney Event 2 $750 NLHE Tournament

Well I just got back from Event 2 of APPT Sydney (somehow titled ‘Opening Event’ despite the obvious chronological difficulties). I got knocked out about two hours in and the whole tournament was rather uneventful. It was a $750 buy-in tournament with 235 runners, 40 minute levels and 5000 chip starting stacks.

The first hand I played I checked my option in the big blind with T9o and we saw a four way flop of TT9ss. I led out 150 into 200 and got called by the button. We were only about 8 hands into the tournament at this point but having already seen this player limp first-in a few times already I assumed he probably wasn’t the strongest player. The turn brought the As. At this point I figured the best way to build a huge pot against a flush would be to go for a check-raise and so I did. I checked and the button bet 200 into 500 and I made it 900 straight (less than 1000! Cheap!). My opponent called and the river was a total blank (3d or something). At this point I figured my opponent was never folding a flush, probably not folding a ten, and probably would call with just an ace too if he somehow had it. I considered overbet shoving for a bit but then decided to just go for a pretty large bet of 1900 into 2300 (less than 2000! Cheap!). He tanked and tanked and eventually folded (a flush he later told me) so I was pretty gutted about that. Oh well, move on.

I then hovered around the 6000 mark for ages, winning a few small pots then losing them back. Eventually with my stack at 5700 and the blinds at 50/100 the button (same dude as the previous hand) opened to 300. I 3-bet from the big blind to 1050 with AKo and he immediately declared “Man, I’m sick of this tournament” and shoved all-in for 3700 total. Uh oh lol. I didn’t particularly like his little speech but I nevertheless failed to see how I could ever get away from this hand so I called and he showed AQc. The board brought running clubs for the flush and I was down to 1975.

For the next hour or so I stole a few blinds here and there and eventually picked up black jacks with a stack of 2575 with the blinds at 150/300. I open shoved in middle position, got called by AKo and an Ace came on the river. And that was that.

Speaking of LOL_live_speech_tells, I saw a pretty hilarious one today. A guy check-called a bet on a KTTr board and then mouthed ‘f**k’ to himself when the third ten came on the turn. Yes, because that ten is a horrible card for your King right? Lol. The turn checked through and the river brought an ace and the guy led out. Now if ever there were a time to fold an ace on a TTKTA board I reckon this was it. Especially when you consider that no one is leading out QJ or a King on that board. The opponent in this hand did look him up with an ace and the guy did have quads. Cool stuff.

Anyway, let’s hope I do a bit better in the 6-max event.

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion