Monday, May 25, 2009

Worst Ever Day (-$16,000), Didn’t Miss a Beat…

I had my worst ever day last week and didn’t feel upset at all. It was kind of scary actually. Usually I’d rush straight to my blog to whine and whatever but I really wasn’t too fussed by it at all. The last few weeks I’ve had 10K swings up and down every two or so sessions so I think I’m starting to get used to it as weird (and worrying?) as that is. Anyway I dropped 16K in about two hours that session, 13 of it coming from a failed two-tabling 25/50 shot where I got set under set for 5K and my AA turned by QTs on JJ9K in a 3-bet pot for about 6K. A fish with a VPIP over 75% was playing on both tables so I don’t regret taking the shot as I certainly think it was +EV.

The thing that is starting to annoy me though is that I haven’t actually made that much money these last few months now that I think about it. I simply rip through 5/10 and then just lose it all back at 10/20 and 25/50. Rinse and repeat and that’s my last few months in a nutshell. If I was smart I’d just stay at 5/10 and make whatever and be happy and move on with life. But I guess that was the temptation at both 1/2 and 3/6 and I’m glad that I preserved on in those situations as eventually I did ‘make’ it and have reaped the long-term rewards ever since. Here’s my graph for the last week which if you copy and paste side by side would pretty much exactly resemble my graph for the last few months.


I have exams coming up in three weeks so I’m going to take a break from poker until they’re finished. I finish on the 22nd June and leave for Vegas on the 2nd July. So my plan for the next two months is:

· 26th-29th May – final week of classes
· 30th May – 14th June – prepare for exams
· 15th – 22nd June – exams
· 23rd June – 1st July – holidays!
· 2nd – 15th July – Vegas + 22nd birthday!!!
· 16th – 26th July – holidays!
· 27th July – resume uni

In that first week of holidays I hope to finish my 5/10 goals for the year. I need 25K at 5/10 6-max and 14K at 5/10 HU to have $111,000 and $0 in winnings for the year respectively. Once I’ve done that I would’ve achieved what I wanted to achieve at 5/10 and once I come back from Vegas I’ll take my first shot at being a full time high-stakes only baller – 10/20+ only baby! If that doesn’t go well though I guess I’ll have to return to 5/10 but I really like the idea of leaving 5/10 and midstakes forever. Anyway, time to study up I guess…

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion