Saturday, May 30, 2009

Graduation!

Weeeee I have a degree! I looked kind of ridiculous in the hat but whatever I guess. The graduation ceremony was actually pretty cool; it had enough pomp and tradition to make the occasion feel special yet at the same time only lasted an hour which was definitely a plus.

My name was relatively early in the list so after I got my degree I sat and amused myself by seeing how many people stuffed up the graduation procedure. When your name was called out by the Dean you had to salute him (boys by raising their trencher, girls by touching their trencher, bowing slightly or curtseying). I’m pretty sure the strike rate for this was near 100%. You then had to walk up to the Deputy Chancellor who shook your hand and presented you with your degree. He would then salute you and you’d salute back before turning around and leaving. A lot of people momentarily turned away without saluting but most eventually remembered since it’s pretty hard to miss the Deputy Chancellor saluting you. Anyway, then came the big test. While walking down the steps back to your seat, you had to simultaneously fumble for the tassel at the top of your trencher and move it from the right side to the left side to signal that you’ve now graduated. Not only was this a test of your memory but it required significant coordination skills as well, kind of like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time. And sure enough, BOOM! Strike rate down to 60%! Hehe.

Anyway, here’s a photo of me with my mum in the quad.


PS Does anyone out there have any views or opinions on Emory University? The five US exchange options I have for next year are Harvard, NYU, Texas at Austin, Cornell and Emory. I have no chance of getting into the first three (since we only have one spot for each and the mark cutoff is ridiculously high) so I’m going to put Cornell down as my first preference and then Emory (since I really want to go to the US). Emory was added to the list of exchange partners just this year though so we haven’t really been given any ‘informal’ information on it. By ‘informal’ I mean non-brochure, non-website, non-‘official’ information which is really what I’m after. So yeah any info or advice would be appreciated!

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion