Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mini-Heater, Back to Uni, Back to Vegas?

So I had a really bad start to the year and was down 50K a week ago. Some of it was tilt, some of it was not game selecting anymore, some of it was just bad play.

Fortunately I was taken away from my computer for a few days as I went down the coast to a friend's beachhouse. It was a good chance to clear my head and just watch movies and play X-Box all day. I also went over some of my poker notes to make sure that my game was still sharp. Since I've been back I've made 29K in 6.5K hands, so it seems that the break did do some good :).

I return to uni tomorrow and with 4 days a week rather than the 2 that I had last semester I imagine that I won't be able to play nearly as much as I'd like to in the next few months. I'm still going to aim for 200K profit by June though, although realistically I'll be very happy with 100K.

I also decided not to do the law course at Cambridge in July after all. There were a few factors in my decision but mostly I didn't want to have an 80% final essay hanging over my head while I travelled around Europe. This does however open the door for me to return to Vegas. The 25K 6-max and the Main Event both interest me but in the end I think the 30% tax will be too much to overcome. It was worth it for the experience last year, but it's going to be pretty hard to justify playing again. That said, I didn't get to experience Vegas itself as much as I would've liked to last year since I was in the tournament for so long, so I might go for a couple of days and just live it up and maybe play some cash on the side. Then again, I could just arrive in Europe a week earlier and live it up there instead :).

In other news I've coaxed a few friends into playing a run'n'go with me in June. Buy-in $100, treadmill set on 10km/hr, last one standing wins :). Wish me luck!

Finally, I got featured over at PokerNews which was pretty cool. Have a read if you have time: http://www.pokernews.com/online-poker/interviews/online-poker-spotlight-joey-jcl-lawrence-6120.htm

Good luck at the tables guys.

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion