Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Leaving for Vegas, 5/10 HU, Bra Story!

So I’m leaving for Vegas tomorrow! Our flight leaves 2PM Thursday Australian time and arrives in Las Vegas 12PM Thursday US time. Who said time travel wasn’t possible?

Our plans at this time are pretty sketchy but we know that we want to take a helicopter to see the Grand Canyon and see at least one Cirque du Soleil show, probably ‘O’. By complete chance (we discovered this last week) two friends from uni are there at the moment for a holiday so we’ll probably meet up with them on Friday night and go clubbing before they leave Saturday morning. I have no idea what clubs are good on Fridays but I assume they’re all decent on weekends. I also want to get bottle service because it sounds awesome but I have no idea how the whole deal works.

The other thing that I have absolutely no clue about is how to tip. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be a big tipping fish and tip way more than necessary, mostly because I don’t want to be rude and inadvertently tip too little.

I’m planning to play Day 1D of the Main Event since that falls on a Monday which will allow me to enjoy the weekend. I heard Wet Republic at MGM is good so we’ll probably check that out on Sunday. The girls we’re going with have unfortunately vetoed Rehab at Hard Rock (apparently it’s too skanky) so it looks like we won’t be going there. Oh well.

Hmm what else. We’re going to dine at some balla restaurant at least once and probably pig out on buffets for the rest of the time. My birthday is on the 12th which I believe is a Sunday so we’ll probably do bottle service again on the Saturday.

Whatever else we do, I’m sure it’ll be awesome and I’ll definitely post some pics and a trip report when I get back. I don’t think I’ll be bothered to do real time updates while I’m there though; I might post a sentence or two about my position in the Main Event but that’s probably it since I can think of better things to do while in Vegas than blogging.

In other news, poker has been going along at breakeven pace as usual: grind 10K at 5/10, lose it at higher stake shots, repeat. I didn’t complete my 5/10 goal unfortunately but to be fair I haven’t had all that much time to play. The questions in the exchange application were far more intensive, searching and generally time-consuming than I had initially expected (for the record I put NYU, Cornell, Copenhagen, Utrecht and Texas as my five preferences in that order; realistically hoping for Copenhagen but will ‘settle’ for Utrecht) and I’ve been out quite a few times this week since it’s the first week of holidays and everyone’s psyched to do stuff.

In the time that I have been able to play I’ve actually been playing quite a bit of 5/10 HU. I still have no clue how to play HU (I’ve watched like less than 10 videos ever) but I’ve decided that I want to get really good at poker and I think that 4-tabling a good reg HU and seeing what they do well is a really good way to learn and get better. It’s pretty hard to find an opponent to 4-table though since no one plays you unless they think they’re about to crush you into a little pulp so anytime I do get action I’m probably massively –EV but I still think it’s worth it (for a little while at least!). So far I’ve been able to play jungleman, Ket, jsnipes, gp333, tcorbin and heybude. I learnt some incredible things from two of them (won’t say which!) that I’m definitely going to look to incorporate into my game and I’m just a lot more confident in my game generally having played them. I feel like the 6-maxers won’t know what hit them when I go back! Especially once I begin coaching with FoxwoodsFiend later this month (yes, name drop, but I’m so psyched! His videos were literally the reason I joined DeucesCracked initially.).

To finish, I thought I’d tell what I think is a fairly amusing story. It was the end of semester law party last Friday and I had pre-drinks at mine which means I was pretty gone by the time we got there. There was this moment where I’m arguing with a girl (call her X) about her bra size and she’s vehemently nodding her head and saying that she’s a D not a C (or a C not a D?) and I’m just like no way. I remember wondering at the time “how the hell did this conversation come up?” but of course didn’t think too much of it and went along with the conversation. Anyway last night I was talking to another girl from the conversation and asked her how it all came up. She’s like: “Well, when X came up to say hi to us, you said to her ‘hey, we’re talking about bra sizes, what’s yours?’”.

FML.

2 comments:

Will said...

Great entry dude! Enjoy Vegas!

Gamb said...

Wonderful post! These are some good tips, but theres better ones out there. I would definitely research it, Poker is by far the best game ever.

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion