Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Time for a Break, Sydney Champs, Video Requests

After my last update I won another 10K and was up 45K for the month. At this point I was starting to have visions of a 100K month but obviously these were premature. Last night I took another shot at 25/50 (who am I kidding, I’ve been playing 25/50 all this month under-rolled) and got stacked pretty early on. Whatever, still up 40K for the month right? I quit that table and continued grinding at the 5/10 and 10/20 tables. Nice and safe…

But then this voice in the back of my mind started to echo louder and louder: “damn it Joey why can’t you just stop playing 25/50 and just build your roll nice and slowly…that’s another 5K you’ve wasted!” After hearing this for ten more minutes I was officially tilted. So then I proceeded to open up a whole slather of 5/10 tables and attempted to win it all back as quickly as possible. Needless to say this never works well and I dropped another $6500. Sigh.

I have another two mid-semester exams in two weeks so this seems like a pretty good spot to take another break and step away from the game for a bit. I was planning to take a break after today anyway but after yesterday’s performance I think it’s definitely not a bad idea regardless. The last thing I want to do is repeat last month and follow a very solid upswing with another epic downswing. I’ve decided though that when I come back I want to first win 27K playing 5/10-15/30 to completely erase last month’s downswing; then I’ll discard 5/10 and go back to playing 10/20-15/30 and give high stakes another shot. If that fails again, then I’ll probably have to give some serious consideration to just grinding 5/10 forever (and play 10/20+ only when the games are good).

This week also marks the inaugural Sydney Poker Championships at Star City. I had planned to play the $1650 main event but realised that, with so much work to catch up on, allocating three valuable days to a (let’s be honest) relatively insignificant tournament was probably not the best allocation of my time. I think I will go ahead however and play the $5200 High Rollers on Saturday. It starts at 6PM and with a pretty small field expected it should be finished by 6AM the next day. That I can handle.

Finally, I’ve got mixed suggestions on what my next CardRunners video series should be. Some like the idea of a “1/2 to 2/4 transition” series, some want a hand history replayer type video, others just want another 2/4 or 3/6 live play video much like my first. I won’t be making my next video for at least another two weeks (until after those exams are done) so feel free to leave any more requests or suggestions below and I’ll weigh them up over the next fortnight.

Peace.

2 comments:

Aggie Doug said...

I've been reading all of your posts and am really impressed by your progress from low stakes to mid & high stakes.

I'd personally vote for a video showing the transition from 1/2 to 2/4.

Unknown said...

If you're interested, i have a 40% rakeback deal on purplelounge (prima) on www.rakebackclub.fr/eng (send mail to support)

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion