Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back to Uni…

It was our first week back at uni this week and I have to say it was pretty hard for me to get back into the swing of things. After nearly three months of playing poker basically full time, the thought of once again settling down to do hours upon hours of law reading was not a particularly tantalizing one.

I’ve played about 18 hours so far this month and currently I’m up a little over $3000. Unfortunately I’m about five buy-ins above-EV at 10/20 so really I should be well down for the month. It’s a bit disconcerting for sure but I guess I’ll take the good runs while they last.

In other news, I joined the uni poker society this week. They run a weekly $1 (about $0.65USD) tournament every Tuesday with first place being a few free drinks so I don’t think the standard will be very high but I’ll try to go down at least once this semester to see what it’s all about.

I’ve also started thinking about where I could go on exchange next year. I really want to go to the US so at the moment my options are something like NYU, Cornell, Duke, Harvard and the University of California campuses. I seriously doubt I will get into any of the Ivy League universities (there’s only one spot available for each to a Sydney Uni student) so basically I’m hoping for NYU and if not I guess I’ll see how close Californian life really is to the OC/American Pie/etc. (and whether people really use red plastic cups!).

Anyway, that’s enough for this update I think. Time to hit the books…

No comments:

Rounders

High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu Versus Gus Hansen

Joe Hachem - WSOP Main Event 2005 Champion